Sunday 18 October 2015

I hiked Diamond Head! And didn't buy the crappy souvenir t-shirt that says so!

But seriously, those t-shirts! Today's job was to simply hike Diamond Head. After two reasonably busy days I decided to leave around mid-afternoon, not doing anything else during the morning.

After grabbing a couple of buses, you walk along the road that leads up to a tunnel and an entrance, where you cough up $1 to enter the park ($5 if you're in the car).

This trip had dual purposes: I wanted to hike Diamond Head, but I am trying to convince mum that she would be able to hike it, for when we are back in Honolulu in a few weeks.

The trip up took a fair while, with a number of switchbacks and stairs to climb, but the views from the top are soooooo worth it! There are several lookouts at which to stop on the way up too, but the main attraction is the lookout at the summit.

From the top, you can easily see Koko Head and Hanauma Bay to the east and the airport to the west:

Hiking Diamond Head

It was a late finish up at the lookout. The park (very unclearly I might add) advertises that it closes at 6:00pm. According to the leaflet, "make sure you don't get locked in!" Thinking that this meant the tunnel closes at 6, I raced down faster than normal, overtaking a couple of dozen people on the way.

I eventually discovered that they close the gates at 6 o'clock, but security stays there for 'a while'. After said while, they leave, and anyone else that arrives at the tunnel gate has to call the police. A group of us that left at the same time conjectured that this was the job given to the newest rookie of the Honolulu PD.

We could still see people standing on the lookout at about 6:30 when we were waiting for the bus. Man that would have been one HELL of a sunset from up there, but I'm not sure it's worth getting a stern talking-to from the police over.

Tomorrow will be a travel day. I may or may not get up early for a sunrise, but in the afternoon we are off to Hawai'i (The Big Island for those playing along at home). Until tomorrow!

Felicity says:

We're doing a HIKE??????? I didn't see that on the itinerary that I approved. I do believe he is dreaming but the argument is continuing. "Rinse and repeat" of yesterday for me - the pool and Ala Moana shops. And send a couple of postcards home, do some research for the Big Island, try and repack all our stuff ... pretty much vegetating in preparation for my chauffeur role from here on. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Felicity climb Diamond Head??!!😅😅😅 We all need a good laugh ever day and picturing that will provide a few days worth of chuckles!